Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Welcome to Finding Your V.O.I.C.E.

Welcome to Finding Your V.O.I.C.E. I created this to blog to post my regular observations and thoughts regarding the need for each of us to find our own voice in our lives. It is my belief that finding your voice provides both a clear sense of purpose and balance in our lives. As Stephen Covey writes in his new book "The 8th Habit" your voice is that place where our talent, passion, conscience, and need intersect. It is in finding our voice that we discover our unique, personal significance.

The work of Dr. Covey has been well documented and has stood the test of time from his writing of the 7 Habits, through to seminars and teaching worldwide. Through these teachings and those of other leaders I have come to believe that there is tremendous value in living a principle centered life. Looking back over my life I have seen the train wrecks caused by not living my life based on a solid set of values. Still, even now I don't always get it right. If you are reading this, chances are that you don't yet get it right every day either.

This blog is intended for each of us that wants to begin the process of getting it right. I say begin the process because I believe that getting it right will take the rest of our lives. This is the starting point for the rest of your life.

We start by defining what we mean when we say you must find your V.O.I.C.E. Finding your V.O.I.C.E. requires you to establish and honor your Values, set clear and written life Objectives, have Integrity in the space between stimulus and response (the moment of choice), understand that everything in life is the result of Choices and your point of view, and finally, what writer Noel Tichy wrote in his book "The Leadership Engine" what we will call E -cubed, which means having emotional energy and edge.

We will use this blog to provide regular commentary and advice to help you to find your V.O.I.C.E. and comment on our observations of life as we strive to live with our own V.O.I.C.E.

I invite your comments and encourage you to read often.

No comments:

Sitemeter