Sunday, May 04, 2008

Today while listening to Joel Osteen's program I was finally able to get my thoughts organized around the subject of change. I think that Joel's message today was titled Embracing Change.

After listening to Joel My thoughts about my Green Apple story (which I had promised to get to the people at Rogers a while ago) became very clear. I was able to write the story in a matter of minutes and sent if off to Rogers. But what is most interesting about this today is that with this clarity about the Green Apple story, I am also feeling more clear about my book subject. What is most amazing to me today though is that this was exactly my prayer last night. I asked God for greater clarity around my subject so that I could get the project unstuck.

The book has always been about change, it was jut how do I tell the story without making it the story of my own life. I wanted this to be a fictionalized account that helped people with the message that they could change their lives from where they are to where they want to be. With this clarity of thought I even became more clear about the process that would work best for me for documenting my daily thoughts. I am more comfortable with typing than I am with writing on paper. My words become more clear to me and I can capture the thoughts quickly and make changes as I go. This too is something with which I have struggled these past few weeks, and perhaps something with which I have struggled for years.

Yet another confirmation? I just paused for a moment and looked at the quote at the top of this page (I am using Franklin Covey's PlanPlus for Windows for documenting notes). The quote is from Leo Tolstoy. "The change in our life must come from the impossibility to live otherwise than according to the demands of our conscience... Not from our mental resolution to try a new form of life."

This quote reminds me of one of the points that I realize about the change process. It is not just a matter of the systems we use to affect change or reach a goal, but also an understanding of our purpose or underlying values that prompts the need for the change itself. This is much more than simply deciding that we are going to make a change. In order to have sustainable and meaningful change we must have a compelling reason linked to something we value to carry out the change. Yet another quote related to this subject is from Herbert Spencer - "A living thing is distinguished from a dead thing by the multiplicity of the changes at any moment taking place in it."

Finally, I am unstuck! So what follows is the Green Apple story. This is a story that I used as a metaphor for how we might perceive change and react earlier to the changes that are already present in our lives. I first told this story back in February as an introduction to a Managing Matters workshop at Rogers Communications on Managing and Influencing Change.

The Green Apple

This morning as I was leaving my hotel to head to class I picked up this wonderful green apple. In doing so I thought this would be great for me to have as a mid-morning snack and would be helpful in keeping me from eating the pastries we have in class. While walking to class this morning carrying this apple, another thought occurred to me. You see looking at this apple you likely think that it is just a shiny green apple. After all, it does look like just a green apple doesn’t it? I realized this morning that this is not just another green apple. Rather, this is an example of the impact of change in our lives.

When we look at this apple what we see on the outside is the shiny exterior of the apple. Looking at the exterior we can appreciate just how wonderful and healthy the apple looks to us. In fact, sometimes when we have a shiny apple we just want to polish it and sit it on the table to really enjoy the beauty of the apple. But what we don’t realize in our casual observation is the impact of what is really going on inside the apple. While the exterior looks magnificent and beautiful to us, what is really happening on the inside? On the inside the apple is in a state of change. We can’t perceive the levels of change on the outside just yet. In fact because we can’t perceive the change we might be tempted to just hold on to the apple while we enjoy the beauty a little while longer. But even though we can’t see it, the apple is changing, and these changes are going to become apparent very soon. In fact, if we don’t act right now, biting the apple and enjoying what we have today what is going to happen tomorrow? If we wait until tomorrow this apple is not going to look quite as good. In fact, if we wait several days it may be likely that we will have missed our opportunity all together, and that shiny apple will not only be unappealing, but will have changed so much that we will have missed the wonderful opportunity to enjoy the apple when it was still fresh and crisp.

This apple helped me to see change differently. When we sometimes have something so wonderful to look at we are tempted to just hold on to it wanting to retain the beauty of the current situation. Certainly we might all understand doing that. But you see this apple taught me that we also at times need to take a closer look. It is likely that upon close examination we might see the subtle signs of change that are evident in this apple. We might see that there is a soft spot or two that suggest that things are really changing on the inside that we just can’t see yet. If we fail to act now what appears to be something we should just hold on to will become that lost opportunity to really embrace and enjoy something wonderful. That is how change really works. We must embrace the possibility for change when it is most subtle. Recognizing the possibility that failing to act today will cause us to be left with the lost opportunity of really enjoying the apple by taking our bite now before it is too late.

No comments:

Sitemeter