Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Kaddywampus

Last week I conducted a series of training classes at a facility in Western Michigan. These sessions were intended to help this particular group focus on the principles and values of their organization, with a focus on what things they could do to positively affect their place of business. I met with groups that averaged about 25 people attending each of the sessions. This allowed for a fair amount of personal interaction giving me an opportunity to engage the groups.

I find that when I am involved in multiple meetings all on the same topic after a while the meetings tend to blend together. It is difficult for me to say with any certainty what persons attended which meeting. This is particularly true when I meet with a large number of people. However, what I always remember is the place in the room where each person sat. I have a distinct recollection for the clothing that a person might have worn if they stood out in some way, or perhaps I will recall a person’s coffee cup, or the way they write their name on their tent card. I enjoy reflecting on these details and the way that the particular patterns stay with me long after I may have forgotten the names of the people involved.

During one of my sessions last week I asked a group to describe their first day at work. I was trying to get the group to express the feelings that they experienced when they were starting out on a new venture. The answers I got back from the group included many responses you might normally expect related to this type of question. Some described their feelings on that first day as anxious. Others described their feelings on their first day as exciting, or even feeling lost. I expected that the responses I would get would represent a range of emotions and experiences. Some of the responses were interesting, like the person who said “I was just happy to be working”, or one man who said he was a bit out of sorts since on his first day he was sent into the basement of the building to work. The most interesting response I got was from a woman that said she experienced a sense of concern after arriving at her cubicle and noticing that things there were all “Kaddywampus.” As she was describing her experience, many of the people in the room nodded their acknowledgement or even agreement with her description of the way things were. However, I found myself instantly curious. I had never heard this word, Kaddywampus before and so I probed to have her explain the term. Essentially, the term is used to describe things that are in disarray, disorganized, or perhaps askew. To use the word in a sentence (as we were trained to do in grade school), one might say the following: I entered the room where the three children were playing and found that everything was Kaddywampus.

I love the sound of this word as it rolls off of the tongue. While I could find no official spelling and therefore no official pronunciation, as I recall the word is pronounced (kad’ ē wom’ pŭs). I recall using this word several times during my training session with this group. We spent about two hours together and I think I managed to fit it in at least three times. I thought that I had forgotten the word until this morning when it came back to mind as I was reflecting on my attitude today.

This morning I woke up in great spirits. It is always a good thing when we can wake up feeling positive about the day. I have developed a couple of rituals over the years that I use to get me charged up when I think I need a bit of a boost, but today, no boost was required. I woke up excited, full of ideas and anxious to get the day started. My feelings today are significant because they are so much the opposite of the feelings I experienced most of the day yesterday. I can now describe my feelings yesterday as “Kaddywampus.” I was out of sorts or off balance. I was easily agitated and perhaps even pensive was the word I heard someone use yesterday. I found myself reacting badly to most situations, either lacking sensitivity when that was called for, or getting far too upset over things that in hindsight were relatively minor. I yelled at the dog a couple of times, snapped at my wife, and responded badly in a telephone call when a friend called me to ask for advice. At one point I just needed to get out and get some air as my wife described it. I am not usually like that (well ok, I am not always like that).

Sometimes we don’t get a chance to actually assess our attitude. In fact for many of us we really only recognize the highs and the lows of our feelings. We have many “middle of the road” days and they tend to go by without mention. We do however notice the highs or the lows. I love the sound in someone’s voice when they say “I am in a great mood today.” They usually follow that statement by saying “I have no idea why.” Few of the people will actually tell you without prompting that they are not in a good mood. Then again, I guess that would not seem normal now that I think about it. Just imagine a co-worker walking up to you and after saying hello telling you “I just wanted to warn you that I am in a bad mood today.” You would likely look at that person as though they are just a bit Kaddywampus.

Now here’s the thing. There have been no changes of note in my life in the past 24 hours that would have changed my attitude. No checks arrived in the mail, I did not win the lottery, and I have had no use for Levitra. I am not Kaddywampus today simply because I chose not to be. I shifted my focus today to reflect on the many things for which I am grateful. I thought back to yesterday and was thankful for each of the wonderful things that happened. I spent time yesterday talking to friends (even though I was not a great conversationalist). I laughed at and with my sons. I enjoyed an exciting basketball game even though our team lost. I enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner even though we did not have company, and dinner was served on a TV tray while watching the game.

I am happy today that I am learning to reach beyond my immediate focus. I am seeing the higher purposes in many of the things that I do, and recognizing the joy in simple pleasures. I have joked with family and friends, petted the dog, and been able to give encouragement. This is not to say that I won’t find myself Kaddywampus again some day soon. But next time I do, I will be able to remind myself that Kaddywampus is a choice. When I am Kaddywampus, from now on I will just choose to be the opposite. I will keep you posted. But do me a favor. If you read this and you find me just a bit out of sorts, would you take a minute to ask me if I am Kaddywampus? Just that key word will shake me out of whatever funk I am in. I will thank you for that and perhaps we will all then just have a better day.

No comments:

Sitemeter