Monday, February 20, 2006

The Power of a Person Convinced

Michael Jordan is by my definition the greatest basketball player of all time. I know that we could have arguments over this statement. Depending upon your own preferences, and your age you may not agree. Yet, for me, this statement represents my truth.

I recall the year when during the NBA finals Michael Jordan was suffering from the flu in game 5 against the Utah Jazz. He had a high fever, and even vomited both before and during the game. He was dehydrated, and weak but still wanted to play in the game. Jordan was convinced that his presence would make a difference. He shot 13-of-27 from the field and played 44 minutes. Jordan shot the tie breaking three-pointer, and the Bulls went on to win game five, giving them a 3 games to 2 advantage over Utah. But, this is not the end of the story. As every basketball fan at that time had come to know, when the game is on the line, you want Michael Jordan to have the ball. With seconds left he has delivered time and time again. He once stated in an interview that if there is one last shot needed to win, he wanted the ball. He was convinced that he could make the winning difference.

In game 6 of the 1997 championship finals, Jordan was once again pivotal in the final seconds of the game. The Bulls needed one final shot to secure the victory and their 5th NBA title. In the final seconds, everyone watching the game, and every player on the floor knew that Michael Jordan would get the ball, and they were convinced that he would take the final shot. That is everyone except Michael Jordan and Steve Kerr. During their final time out the Bull’s coach drew up a play that would get the ball to Jordan. However, Jordan knew that this would result in his being double teamed by John Stockton leaving Steve Kerr unguarded. Jordan asked Kerr if he would be ready to take the shot when this occurred. Kerr assured him that he would be ready and that he would make the shot. Jordan was convinced. The play worked perfectly. Jordan got the ball and Stockton double teamed him. Jordan swings the pass out to Kerr who sinks the long jump shot. The bulls go on to win their 5th championship 90-86. Utah was convinced that Jordan would take the shot. Jordan was convinced that Steve Kerr would make the shot when it counted most. Here again we saw the power of being convinced.

Sports provide us with many analogies of the power of people that are convinced that they can achieve a goal. Yet, every day we see the power of people that are convinced. A child’s first steps show us that power when they stand up on wobbly legs, convinced that they can begin to walk. Parents don’t create this sense of confidence, at best we can reinforce it, but the child must be convinced that they alone can do it. In American History, a group of farmers that had left England in pursuit of religious freedom were convinced that they could defeat the greatest army in the world when they fought against England. In biblical history Moses was convinced that he would lead the people of Israel out of slavery. Gandhi was convinced that he could lead a non-violent revolution to free India from foreign rule. Joan of Arc was convinced that she was called by God to drive the English out of France. There is power in being convinced.

We have allowed our language to be too filled with words that transmit uncertainty. We express our doubts and our fear of failure far more often than we express our confidence. We begin tasks with weak statements that give us a cushion to fall back upon should we fail. We are timid in our approach. We don’t live our lives as though we are convinced that we can not fail.

I have been challenged of late as to the certainty of my own calling. Questions creep into my mind causing doubt. I have seen myself become tentative, and unsure, even unmotivated at times. I have even considered a change of course when the going gets particularly rough. When this happens I am reminded of what it feels like to be convinced. Sometimes we are convinced when someone steps into your life to remind you that your gift is real. At other times, someone is encouraged by you and expresses their belief in you even when you do not believe in yourself. At other times you just get that gentle nudge when you hear a whisper telling you that you can do it. You become convinced. When we are convinced great and wonderful things begin to happen.

Today my brother posed an interesting question to me. He asked, “If you knew that you had the winning cards in your hands, how would you play in a card game?” My answer was that I would play much more aggressively. He then argued that this is the way we all must play the cards that are dealt to us. We must always play as though we have a winning hand. We must be convinced that we will succeed. When I think of it that way I gain a better understanding of what it means to have faith. Believing is being convinced. A long time friend said recently, “You must believe in all that you are.” Those words ring true to me today, and I am convinced.

When we become convinced we become unstoppable. Some of us are lucky enough to convince ourselves that we can not lose. At other times we need someone to convince us that we are on the right path. The affirmation of a loved one can convince us. We need to be convinced of our gifts. We need to be convinced of our faith. When we allow ourselves to be convinced, we tap in to a power that is beyond measure. Believe. Be convinced.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW, this is an awesome piece. I am reading this at 1:11am, unable to sleep. I guess I need more convincing than most, that's probably because as soon as I feel I can make it, I get shot down. Yeah, convince myself, believe in myself, have faith in myself. That would be a lot easier if I lived in a world by myself.

Sitemeter