Friday, February 10, 2006

Technology Overload

Inventory:

Three Remote Control devices
Ipod with portable speakers
Logitech Mini Cam
Electronic Calculator
Blackberry Cell phone
Blue Tooth Headset
Wireless Mouse
Laptop Computer
7 port USB hub (5 ports in use)
Iomega Zip 250 Drive
1 Gigabyte Pen Drive

These are all of the electronic devices on my desk at this moment. I took this inventory when I realized that I was taking leave of my senses. That is to say that I was feeling as though the basics such as tactile senses, or using my memory, or even getting up from my desk chair was beginning to seem foreign. From my desk I control my laptop (which is wirelessly connected to the internet), my television which tunes me in to C-Span right now, my radio, which I use to listen to certain NPR shows as the day goes on, and I can control my Ipod as I change the music to meet the mood or tasks at hand. Then of course, let’s not forget the Blackberry which I check without thinking every few minutes as there may be some earth shattering email requiring my attention (even though Outlook is also running on the laptop).

I mention all of this today not to impress you, but to call your attention to a problem that I experienced and a new awareness that I have come to. For a brief moment today my cell phone stopped working. Actually, it seems that the email component was not working. I immediately felt uneasiness in the pit of my stomach as my connection to the world seemed to have been severed. I quickly contacted my wireless provider to see if I could resolve this now very important problem. The automated voice mail attendant announced that my wait time would be approximately 2 minutes. The panic began to rise. What could be the problem? I did pay the bill, is there something else? How will I work around this? Maybe the Blackberry lawsuit has somehow caused my service to be terminated. What will I do now?

Less than 2 minutes goes by and a very friendly and helpful Customer Service Representative assures me that all is well with my account. He instructs me to shut off my phone for about 30 seconds while he resends activation instructions to my telephone. When I turn the phone back on, messages begin to come through and my connection to the world is restored. All of this is completed in the space of less than 5 minutes from the time of my call. I can feel the racing of my heart begin to slow. I am still wet from the perspiration, but I know that will go away as soon as I dry off. I thank the representative for his helpful assistance, and then just to be sure I call my home telephone number from my cell phone. Making doubly sure I also call a friend long distance so that I know that too is working. It works! The world will not have to solve its problems today without my input. Email messages will arrive on my Blackberry at the rate of at least two or three per hour and I can feel productive sending and receiving messages throughout the day.

While this is my true story of my working reality, I don’t think that this is how it should be. Two weeks ago I began to experiment with moving myself down the technology chain and going back to my pen and paper planning system. I thought that perhaps I should develop a means to integrate the old fashioned system of actually writing down my tasks, appointments, and daily notes on (hold on to your seats) an actual piece of paper. I have now for the past two weeks even tracked my Work Compass (a planning tool I use) on paper rather than electronically. My daily notes are once again being written on paper and filed in my planner. I will admit that I am still putting certain key notes in the computer under the theory that that makes them “searchable.”

There is something about the sensory response of using pen and paper. My tasks as an example are right there in front of me all day. I am happily checking off the things I plan to do for the day and I feel a great sense of accomplishment as I work through the list. Even though I have yet to clear the day’s list and each day I write a new list, just knowing that I can see what is in front of me has reduced my dread and feeling of being overwhelmed. My hand written notes on my daily notes sheets are now a great way to reflect on my day and bring me a sense of what I have yet to do in a reassuring way. Each reminder is there, the telephone numbers that I get in a phone call, even the note reminding me of my boy’s activities (tonight is movie night at school) are right there in front of me.

We move up the technology chain with the idea that each new device or gadget we buy will simplify our existence. Our offices become command centers where we sit at the center of our world in command of all we see. These are very tempting illusions. I find that the reality is that all of these devices end up controlling us and really limiting our time. Setting up the remotes, configuring the Blackberry, synching up the Blue Tooth device, (making sure it works properly while not draining the telephone battery). Doing all of this takes up huge amounts of our available mental space.

I will be the first to admit that I am a techno geek. I love to have the latest and greatest devices and gadgets. I am a certified early adopter and I continually look for new ways to increase my effectiveness. Yet, today I have been reminded of the simplicity of pen and paper. There is a beauty in being able to see forward and backward by just reading a note, or checking my schedule on the calendar. There is satisfaction in checking off one more of those “A” items on my task list. Of course, I am writing this on my laptop and will soon send a copy wirelessly to the printer. I will transmit this to my blog site on the internet, and I will email it to my friends (and a copy will arrive on my Blackberry). Still, I am once again learning to celebrate the simplicity of pen and paper. Going forward I am now sure that I will integrate the two much more consistently.

I have to go now. One of my “A” items today was writing this blog, and now I am done. One more check mark with my pen on the task list. What a great feeling!

No comments:

Sitemeter