Thursday, February 10, 2005

Clear the Mechanism

Since rising this morning I have already learned of the unfortunate fate of Carly Fiorina, written a long memorandum to a client, complete with attachments, helped with getting my children off to school, and read several blog sites. I have an appointment at 11:00, and at least two letters to write today. I have already spoken by telephone with one of the people I talk with daily. I have also scanned the newspaper (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and the New York Times) looking for articles that I will read later today. I am writing this at 8:45 in the morning, and while I have been up for a few hours, I would say that this has already been a busy day.

After I completed all of the above, and I had a chance to settle down, I decided that it was time for coffee. When I went to my kitchen this morning I realized that today my wife had done something out of character. Before leaving for school and chapel this morning she turned off all of the lights downstairs. The kitchen television was off and the room was silent. The only light streaming in was that of the windows of our family room which provided sufficient light for moving around in the kitchen. Today is overcast and snowy in Pittsburgh so even that light was not distracting. As I reached for my coffee pot in the dark I decided that I would take advantage of this quiet moment to pray. This was not a standard prayer for public consumption. Rather, this was more of a turning of my thoughts to the spiritual nature within me. As I did this I became aware of an even deeper quieting than I had previously observed in the room. All other noises and senses were instantly tuned out and I was left with just me and my prayer. All of this occurred as I moved about the kitchen preparing to brew my coffee.

The phrase, “Clear the Mechanism” is a quote from a Kevin Costner movie titled “For Love of the Game”. The movie is actually about a self-centered baseball pitcher playing in what appears to be his final game. Suffering from injuries incurred during his 19 year career, our star, Billy Chapel, has flash backs of his life, loves and baseball. As the game progresses Billy Chapel is told by his sidekick catcher that he is pitching a no-hitter. Billy must bring all of his resources, despite his aching hand, to bear to keep the no-hitter going and win the game. During these moments of intense concentration, Billy Chapel says to himself silently, “Clear the Mechanism.” This mantra is what Billy has used consistently to block out all outside interferences. When he “clears the mechanism” during the movie all fan noise is paused and the movie becomes instantly silent. Billy finds himself in total concentration, silence and with clear focus.

Sometimes, we need to “clear the mechanism.” Just the other day I was reading a story about King David who has always been one of my heroes. You have got to admire a guy that can pose “Esquire Magazine” like while yet completely naked. The story is as follows:

When David and his men came to Ziklag, they found it destroyed by fire and their wives and sons and daughters taken captive. So David and his men wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep. David’s two wives had been captured – Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail, the widow of Nabal of Carmel. David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the Lord his God. (1 Samuel 30: 3-6 from the Nearly Infallible Version, thanks for letting use that Gone ;) .

Talk about having a bad day at the office! David comes home from work (back then the work consisted mostly of warring, killing, plundering, and apparently having multiple wives) only to find that all of his stuff had been taken. Sort of like a home invasion where the thieves burn all of your stuff and steal your family. Not only were David’s family and stuff gone, but his men also lost all of their stuff and their families too. So, David’s men did what we all do when bad stuff happens. They decide to kill the boss (in your case you might not plot their death, but there demise is clearly on your mind). Isn’t it funny how when stuff happens to us, we just want to blame someone else, rather than deal with the real problem, which as best as I can tell in this case was the Amalekites. My guess is that at this point David was hearing a fair amount of static. Not to mention the distraction of having your bigger guys picking up large rocks and putting them into pouches for the day’s stoning. David really needed to “clear his mechanism.”

David’s problem was not unlike your day. If you are like me you have the ding of your email going off, your cell phone is getting text messages or actual phone calls, your PDA is reminding you of your upcoming appointment, and you are either listening to the radio, television, or music if that is permitted in your work environment. Perhaps no one is talking about stoning you, but you can identify those workmates that would consider this a good option if given the opportunity. Maybe your husband, or wife and children are still at home or school as you read this, but perhaps some “Amalekite” has stolen your self-confidence, or humiliated you publicly. Or maybe someone has completely burned down your morale because of the latest in a string of ongoing injustices. You may not deal with physical attacks on your person, but you are yet feeling beaten up by worry, doubt, and fear. If this sounds like you then you need to “clear the mechanism.”

I write this today not to appeal to any specific set of spiritual beliefs. Yet, I write this with the full awareness that each of us has a spiritual nature as one of our four human dimensions. Those may easily be placed in a box with the four corners being the physical, emotional, mental and the spiritual dimensions. Perhaps on another day I will talk about the other dimensions, but not today. For today, I am simply encouraging you to take the time to “clear the mechanism.” Find a moment where you can be alone and quiet. Most of us are alone at our computers. You don’t need to close your eyes, just shut out the external noises. Turn off your radio, the television or any of the noises that you control. Say to yourself, “Clear the Mechanism.” You may not reach the place of deep concentration on your first try. But, be persistent and practice this. If at first you find it difficult, then go to a quiet place. But try to practice clearing your mechanism.

During the Lenten season many people practice various forms of abstinence. I am advocating that you add something to your life. Find a minute to clear your mechanism and touch base with your spiritual side. The benefits are huge, and if you are lucky, you might just get to enjoy a great cup of coffee as I did today.

No comments:

Sitemeter