Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Finding Your V.O.I.C.E. at the Top of a Mountain

Last night I had the opportunity to speak before a group of about seventy-five people. The occasion was a reception to celebrate the accomplishments of five members of a popular downtown private club. The five people being honored were recognized as “Champions” of the club in recognition of their accomplishments and achievements in fostering the growth and advancement of the club. I have learned that one who desires to advance their career in speaking and seminar facilitation should accept every opportunity to speak before a group. Even though I was offered only a small part in the evening’s festivities, I gladly accepted. I also accepted because I was being asked to be there to speak about and honor a friend and colleague.

The formal presentations of the evening consisted of having several persons, give a brief speech and introduction of an honoree. The speeches varied in length and level of interest to the diverse crowd. As often happens when I give a speech I don’t really recall much of what I actually said as compared to my prepared and well rehearsed remarks. Even small occasions such as these require preparation. I was told that I did well, and for this purpose that was sufficient. What I particularly recall was the introduction of one of the honorees. That was the introduction of a young man named Will Cross.

Will Cross was introduced by his proud father-in-law. He described Will as an adventurer. This description automatically peaked my interest, and I listened closely. Will Cross is an adventurer extrordinaire. He is presently engaged in an attempt to complete the “NovoLog Peaks and Poles Challenge”. This is a challenge to climb the highest mountains on each continent, and walk to each of the poles. Cross completed the first part of this adventure when he completed the nearly seven-hundred mile walk across Antarctica to the South Pole. He has already climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and Mt. Vinson. Last year Cross made his first attempt to climb to the summit of Mount Everest, and fell about one thousand feet short of his goal. A second attempt at reaching the top of that mountain is planned for this coming March.

Mountain climbing lore details the feats of the people that have climbed the highest peaks in the world. Nearly one-thousand men and women have reached the summit of Mount Everest. Approximately one-hundred or so climbers reach the summit annually. Success on these trips requires a rare combination of personal fortitude, physical endurance and luck with uncontrollable factors such as the weather. Climbs can take as long as two to three months to complete from the start of the journey. During that time you are forced to test the limits of your body, mind and spirit. This is a severe test for everyone that attempts such a climb. For Will Cross, this was even more of a challenge.

Will Cross is a type one diabetic. People with type one diabetes cannot make insulin. Insulin is a hormone which carries glucose from the bloodstream to the body tissues where it is used to produce energy. This means that Will had to wrestle with all of the physical limitations of his climb, which includes dealing with severe temperatures (as low as 50 degrees below zero wind chill at night), oxygen deprivation at high altitude which leads to “hypoxia”, a condition which limits normal brain function, and consuming a specially designed diet. Yet, it was also necessary for Will to carefully manage his blood sugar levels with insulin throughout the entire trip.

Meeting and talking with Will only briefly made me an unabashed fan. Will Cross has found his V.O.I.C.E. Prior to beginning his adventures to climb mountains and walk to the poles, Will taught in a local school district. Even in this endeavor, Will was unique. He was the Principal of a specially formed unit within the school district that worked exclusively with troubled youth. Will displays the Value of helping others to improve their lives. Will’s first Objective was to walk across Antarctica. He was clear in that Objective, and without having ever done so before raised funds and sponsorship for the trek which he completed in January of 2003. Will demonstrates Integrity in that his commitment was to climb Mount Everest. He missed the summit by less than one-thousand feet. However, equipment failure and a healthy dose of prudence (Will is a husband and father of five children) caused him to abandon that attempt. Integrity is not reflected in “rodeo king” arrogance, and failures to follow pre-established rules and guidelines as has been fatally learned by other climbers on Mount Everest. Yet, Will plans to attempt to reach the summit of that mountain once again this March. The Choices Will has already made in his life reflect his understanding of the need to be a role model to others that are living with what many consider a debilitating disease. Finally, Will has E-cubed as his Emotional Energy and Edge come through in his warm smile, his gritty determination, and willingness to help others, yet still tackle incredible feats.

How might you react if someone told you that climbing the mountains necessary to reach your goals had about a one in six chance of success? What if you were told that nearly two hundred people before you had died trying to do what you set out to do? What might you be willing to risk if you knew that even if you succeed in reaching your personal summit you would only spend ten to fifteen minutes there? What excuses might you make if you had a disease that limits your energy? What would you do after you had a chance to meet someone that has reached their summits and yet still seeks to reach higher heights?

I have had a chance to meet such a man. That chance meeting has encouraged me to know that each of us can and must find our V.O.I.C.E. I look forward to learning more about Will Cross in the coming days. You can learn about him and his company by clicking on the following link Will Cross

“I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life.” – Tenzing Norgay

5 comments:

Wyrfu said...

Good article, Harvey. Reading it, I realized that I have my mountain to climb too. You asked me what if I was told that only one in six succeed in climbing their mountain. My answer is that 95 to 99% of book submissions are rejected by publishers and literary agents. One in six, huh? I'll take it!

Unknown said...

I think you have a point there Gone. These days the odds of reaching the summit of a mountain top are better than the odds of publishing a book. I guess that we all have our summit to climb. Still, even with the better odds, I may never climb a mountain, but I am going to finish my book

Ned said...

Having personal experience with people who have disorders that limit their energies and sometimes mobility as well, I would point out that many things others take for granted or do without thinking, present mountains for these people. Everyday living presents mountains for each of us, the places where our comfort level is stretched, and overcoming has to be a drive that one has deep inside or we look at mountains and sigh, never attempting the climb.

Unknown said...

You are so right Ned. Mountains vary for each of us. What I may well take for granted is so difficult for a person with disabilities or physical limitations. I guess this is all a matter of perspective. Yet, as we face our mountains each day, we need to be inspired to climb knowing that many have faced difficulties as we do, and they have decided to climb anyway.

Unknown said...

Glenni, as with everything we can choose to climb our mountains. Like you right now my mountain is writing my book. I have been climbing this one for over a year now. I think that I have found the inspiration to reach the summit on this one, I hope that you will too.

Sitemeter