Friday, February 18, 2005

I Think I May have Caught a Virus

I should have recognized it last night when I went to bed, but I was so tired I attributed the feeling to exhaustion. It woke me up during the night, and I recognized it instantly. Despite everything I have done this winter to ward it off, it had finally caught up to me. But this feels so different from what everyone else has described as their symptoms.

It started in my head. I had that full feeling that I sometimes get. I felt like my head was going to explode. I could not handle another single thought. When it woke me up last night I was convinced that this was going to be awful. I tried to remain optimistic, tried to engage in positive thinking telling myself over and over that I can not succumb to this. But then when I thought about it more, I realized that this was inevitable. Almost everyone around me already had it, and the kids were telling me about some of their friends that had it too. My experience has been that whenever they get anything at school, whether my kids get it or not, sooner or later, I am going to come down with it too.

Sometimes you think back over the past couple of days and then you can remember exactly how it happened. For me, I think that it started with one of the guys I had lunch with earlier in the week. He had it and I can recall thinking about it right after I shook his hand. I had already been to the restroom prior to his arrival, and I felt oddly about going off again. I did not want it to appear that I had some sort of compulsion or something. Then again, it could have been that guy in the bookstore the other day. He didn’t look too good either. Of course another possibility could be the drastic swing in the weather this week. On Tuesday it was over fifty-five degrees and sunny. I did go out on my bike for a ride. The weather changed drastically since then. Last night it was cold and snowy and perhaps that is how I got it. With everything that is going around sometimes you just can’t know for sure where it came from. The good news for me at least is that I am going to try hard not to pass it on. The weather is not that great today and maybe just staying home is the best thing that I can do.

The last time I had it I called my friend Jonathan to talk with him about it. He is a Doctor in North Carolina. Despite the distance, I find that he can usually diagnose my problem over the telephone. The last time this happened to me I called him and sure enough he knew exactly what I had and was able to suggest a simple remedy. He is such a concerned physician that he also thought that maybe he needed to see me. I thought about it for a moment but realized that this was just something simple and that I would be alright in a couple of days. What he suggested then actually worked for me.

It is frustrating for me to think that I could catch this. I really try hard to get the proper rest, I exercise regularly, and for the most part I eat well (I don’t think that potato chips with lunch made this happen). Once before when I had this a friend told me that it is just a virus. When you are exposed to it there is little or nothing you can do. He said despite all of the advances in modern medicine there really is no cure. You just treat the symptoms.

I am firmly convinced now that it did start with that guy at lunch. He had such a negative attitude. His entire discussion during our business meeting was all about himself. Most of the time he did all of the talking and never really listened to anything that anyone else had to say. He was practically spewing in my face about how he deserved so much more than anyone else, and thinking back now I should not have exposed myself to his selfish thinking. Then again, that guy in the bookstore did not help much either. I remember when I asked him to help me find the book I was looking for he just stared at me like I had just arrived from another planet. When he finally did speak his response of “What do you want?” should have tipped me off to the fact that this guy was toxic. I forced him to help me find the book just because I was being stubborn. I probably should have walked away before his attitude got all over me.

Riding the bike this week actually helped I think. It was good to get some fresh air and I enjoy the convenience and ease of parking in the city when I only need a small space. Maybe I should have stayed out longer on that day to let the positive effect fill my body and my mind, sort of like storing up the positive energy for the latter part of the week. I have to remember to do that next time.

I spoke to a friend this morning who gave me some excellent advice. She said, why not just let go today and do something crazy. Play the music really loud, and just dance. Just the image of me dancing in the kitchen made me smile. I think I am going to try that. In fact when I finish writing this I am going to turn up the music really loud, and get my dance on. I know that will work to adjust my attitude. I am not going to chase any business today. That can wait until next week. No conversations today about who I owe, or who owes me. I will avoid the doubters, negative thinkers, and self absorbed people who really just take away my energy and don’t add anything positive. I already know who they are, and that is the real beauty of Caller ID.

I don’t know what your kind of week you have had. Maybe you too have been exposed to some of the same people I ran into earlier this week. I would not be surprised because they are everywhere. It could be you caught it from work, your boss, or associates. Sometimes you can just catch it doing life. It’s a virus so you can’t do anything other than treat the symptoms. If you are lacking energy, lost your creativity, your head is full with worry or doubt then those are the most common symptoms. Today is the start of a long weekend. Nothing gets the blood flowing, and heart pumping like some good old fashioned music. You know what you like. Go ahead, turn it up. Pump up the volume and dance.

Prologue: I tried it already. I turned up the music in my office. The effect is already starting to ward off the symptoms. I am going to call my friend with the music playing in the background. The cure works! My attitude is already improving, my smile is back. I changed my mind about avoiding people today. I am going to spread some of this joy around. I know a few people that can use it.

No comments:

Sitemeter